Wednesday, May 6, 2009

You know you are Ukrainian if....




So I decided that I really need to start a "you know you are Ukrainian if you..." list. The other night at dinner we were having a spaghetti dinner and Dmitry said, "You know, Italian restaurants really should offer pickles with their dinners, I don't get why they don't!" (We had pickles with our spaghetti). Now this may not seem funny to anyone else, but I just about died laughing. He couldn't understand the humour that I found in it. Ukrainians, at least my family, love their pickles, to the point that you will find a jar of them on the table at breakfast, lunch and dinner. Whereas I am used to having a pickle at a picnic or in a potatoe salad...of course, not any more. I am learning to eat them more often...still not a fan of them for breakfast. ;)

4 comments:

  1. Hi Rachelle, thanks for inviting me to your blog.
    I actually really like pickles but I don't think I could eat them for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is really hilarious - And I can totally hear his voice! :) Glad you are getting your fill of pickles--definitely not my thing! ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Rachelle, you have no idea. My Ukrainian family loves their pickles too. At every meal, doesn't matter what we are eating. Pickled beets too, really anything that is pickled is acceptable. HOw funny. I thought we were the only ones.
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha-ha..yes Heather...I seriously think it is a Ukrainian thing. They even have pickled yellow squash (which I do like). The favorite around his family is the pickled whole tomatoes which I don't like, but my Mom adored them when she was out here...so Dima says I am just way too picky. His parents will ask me which vegetable I want to eat and pickles counts! This winter I seriously thought I was going to go crazy for want of some fresh, un-sour, un-pickled veggies. Ha-ha...isn't it great! :)

    ReplyDelete