Sunday, August 22, 2010

Lviv, Ukraine

So Dmitry and I went to Lviv! I have always wanted to visit the western part of Ukraine and now I know why. It is beautiful! I love, love, love Lviv! It has a charm to it that I love. Dmitry and I were only there for 2 days but we had a lot of fun since this was our first trip away from our little bundle of energy. I needed the break! I must admit, Dmitry would mention how much he missed Lillia and I would think, hmmm, I don't miss her that much yet. :) Guess it was about time I had a bit of a break! And it was a great break. One thing I really love to see is old building that have a lot of details . And almost all the buildings there were that way. So we had a fun time.Dima in front of our hotelDmitry and I in one of the oldest churches in Lviv...built for one very rich family. It contained 4 pews and there was an underground tunnel from their home to this little chapel. They would would have the priest come and give them their own private service. Interesting!
Dmitry in front of the opera house.
The key to our hotel room. Enormous!
One of the small streets in the shopping district.
Dmitry one of of our little explorations of an old - out of the way street.
me
Dmitry standing in front of the monument that is dedicated to the first man who printed books in Lviv. In the background you can see all sort of vendors that bring old used books and they lay them out on boxes or tables and sell them there.
Dmitry
The hot chocolate in Lviv is quite different. I wanted some hot chocolate and when I got my cup I realized it wasn't what I wanted. However, for a chocolate lover it would be heaven. Hot chocolate is basically a melted chocolate bar in a cup, Dima thought it was great! I asked for milk, added it, and still gave most of mine to Dmitry to finish. It was just too strong for me! Lviv is known for its small coffee shops around the town. They specialize is specialty coffees. It is said here that if you drink your coffee within 30 minutes you burn the soul of your companion (that you would be sharing coffee with). Apparently you are supposed to linger and savor.
We had a wonderful trip and a great time!

3 comments:

  1. Rachelle!!!
    I miss you so much!! It looks like the two of you had a ball! I have to admit I would have probably licked the hot chocolate cup clean!! It looks delish!! Anyway, are you headed back this way anytime soon?? Oh I hope so! anyway keep in touch and tell little Lillia we miss her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummm, drinking chocolate, if I were on your trip that may just have been the highlight! I am glad you both had a chance to get out and take some time for yourselves. You might need to mention to your brother how important it is, and that a little rest from a two year old does wonders!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, i loved the updates!! Lillia is darling--she looks so much like both of you! And how fun to go on a getaway and see a cool city :) I think i would find it very interesting too!

    ReplyDelete